Can You Switch a Full-Time Worker Into a Contractor?

by Evil HR Lady on July 3, 2019

We have a longtime employee who asked to work from home after having twins. She’s been working from home for a year now successfully. She just got a new boss, and he wants her either in the office full time or to change her status to a contractor. Can we do this? How much do we pay her as a contractor? She currently makes $100,000 a year.

To read my answer, click here: Can You Switch a Full-Time Worker Into a Contractor?

Leave your own in the comments!

Elizabeth West July 3, 2019 at 3:43 pm

The letter says she’s been working from home successfully for a year. Seems like it’s the manager who is the problem. 😛

BethG July 3, 2019 at 3:55 pm

Expensive, time-consuming, really bad for morale, and an invitation to a discrimination suit….

jdgalt July 3, 2019 at 4:47 pm

As a tax professional, you got most of it right, but some of the differences between a contractor and an employee are still being scrutinized by courts. “The job cannot be one of the employer’s core business functions” is a new notion and may be overturned; and “there has to be an end date” is not true.

But in general, changing from an employee to a contractor for the same employer is a big red flag and will likely get you audited and be overturned, unless the whole economic picture around that job changes. If the employer would rather have a contractor they are better advised to lay off the employee (if this can be done without violating discrimination law around childbirth, which is questionable) and hire someone else to be the contractor.

grannybunny July 3, 2019 at 7:40 pm

I’d consider making the new — manage by “butt-in-seat” — manager a contractor! 🙂

Bend & Snap July 5, 2019 at 6:36 pm

As a remote worker, I would quit if my employer suddenly required me to be in the office all the time.

Tmt Aba July 9, 2019 at 1:51 pm

sites like craigslist July 24, 2019 at 9:10 am

new book July 25, 2019 at 3:48 pm

lisa August 22, 2019 at 6:31 pm

Nonton Anime

lisa September 7, 2019 at 6:34 pm

While I was going through this blog, I realised about the lives of students is really tough,however, with our Nursing assignment help services, you can turn a lot of toughassignments on your side. The academic experts at My Assignment Services always ensure you beat out the odds by providing assistance through their nursing essay writing help services. We provide 100% original quality assignments which surpasses the highest of thequality. Our nursing leadership essay help services are distributed across the world including Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, USA, UK, Canada, Malaysia, and many other countries. The assignments written by our nursing assignment help experts passes through a rigorous quality check which follow every university guidelines. Students are free to contact our assignment experts by visiting our website at My Assignment Services Experience the best academic help that you have ever got with My Assignment Services.Omio Coupons

hgfr September 16, 2019 at 1:29 pm

I’ve recently remarked on these pages about the seemingly boundless propensity of some on that side of the pond to throw commas around like confetti; and the injurious effect this can have on diction.yubi shop

lisa September 21, 2019 at 10:26 am

we offer Tours From Casablanca, explore morocco starting from Casablanca -Casablanca desert tours -grand morocco tour-all morocco tours.morocco tours from Casablanca

lisa September 23, 2019 at 1:32 pm

An absolutely super suggestion. Find the cause of the problem, changing the role of the employee is not the solutions every time.Affordable Insurance Now

lisa October 3, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Windows is the mostly used operating system all over the world and Microsoft has been launched a fully packed updated windows 10 with many updates and new features. Here we will be discussing the different ways to fix Bluetooth and wireless devices connection issues. Introducing windows 10 with new features sometimes stuck in making wireless connections and there can be any of the listed causes which can be easily accessible and fixed with the given solutions.Tent rental

jack December 18, 2019 at 5:44 pm

I can’t get over how great that wainscoting looks. The wood is so lovely. Looking forward to seeing the sink reinstalled, too (it’s gorgeous even without being pristine).santa ana boulevard

carry December 26, 2019 at 1:32 pm

I think the biggest problem for 18 year olds investing is that it’s not on their radar unless their parents teach them for it to be. I am going to speak to high school classes soon, and this is definitely a topic I want to bring up in hopes of influencing students who don’t have those influences at home.El Gregal Curridabat

carry January 1, 2020 at 1:43 pm

I just had this conversation with my kids. We are packing and packing up the games and decluttering and I found this great but loud game in my daughter’s room and I asked her if we could pass it on. “No way Mom, said my youngest girl. I still love that one.”custom paint by numbers

lisa March 25, 2020 at 7:40 am

In closing this post, I just want to say that I know I’m not perfect, and I don’t claim to be. I’ve made my share of mistakes as a blogger, particularly when I was starting out, and sometimes I think you HAVE to make some of those mistakes in order to realise that, “Hey, I don’t want to be this kind of person.” So I’m not writing this to scold anyone, or try to set myself above them: I’m not even saying that I’ll never mess up or make more mistakes in the future. All I’m saying is that change has to start somewhere, and I think all of us could probably try a little harder on that front, sometimes.soniarandhawa

lisa March 31, 2020 at 1:01 pm

These turned out wonderfully! And I agree about the key to a successful photo shoot – take TONS of photos.The more you take, the more likely you’ll get some that turn out good.Vitamin Online Store

lisa June 3, 2020 at 2:46 pm

My favorite food during the holidays (and probably throughout the year too) is homemade macaroni and cheese. Thank you for sharing all the wonderful parties and your talent! Happy