Study: Your Narcissistic Coworker is Less Stressed and Happier than You Are

by Evil HR Lady on November 6, 2019

Have you worked with a narcissist? As they go around, leaving havoc in their wake, they seem positively unperturbed at what they’ve done. And new research says this isn’t an act. Some narcissists are happier than those of us who care about others.

There are two types of narcissists, grandiose and vulnerable. The vulnerable narcissists are defensive and hostile. Still, the grandiose narcissists “usually have an over-inflated sense of importance and a preoccupation with status and power,” says Kostas Papergeorgiou, Director of the InteRRaCt Lab in the School of Psychology at Queen’s University, Belfast. He found that people who showed narcissistic traits had increased mental toughness, which resulted in lowered perceived stress and protection against depression.

That over-inflated sense of importance and gives these narcissists a sense of “confidence and goal orientation, protecting against symptoms of depression and perceived stress.”

To keep reading, click here: Study: Your Narcissistic Coworker is Less Stressed and Happier than You Are

Anonymous November 6, 2019 at 2:52 pm

EhRL,
There is no link to continue reading.
Love your posts and want to read this one.
—Sarah

Michele November 6, 2019 at 3:24 pm

I love your articles but I am never able to read the entire article. There is no link to be able to read them. Can you let me know how to access the full articles.

Ada November 6, 2019 at 3:41 pm
MariaRose November 7, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Thanks for the working link–as for the narcissists in any part of my life, I tend to find ways to ignore them and keep them from infecting my attitude.

BethRA November 6, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Of course they’re happier than we are, they don’t have to deal with themselves.

Anonymous November 6, 2019 at 9:44 pm

I get your links (except this one) but they disappear right after loading. My techie coworkers say because I’m on the old Google browser and I need to be on the Chrome browser. I have to copy the link and switch to Chrome, time consuming but you are worth it – appreciate the HR advice. Can you change this on your end? Thanks! R.

grannybunny November 7, 2019 at 1:19 pm

I have the same problem with the articles on the Inc site. As soon as I hit the link, I right-click and hit Print Preview. It captures the article before it disappears and I can print it and read it that way.