Why employers settle sexual harassment claims

by Evil HR Lady on November 4, 2011

Herman Cain’s employer quietly settled sexual misconduct complaints, but does that mean he was guilty?

To find out why employers settle sexual harassment claims, click on the link.

This will take you to CBS Money Watch, which is where I reside after they shut down BNET. Supposedly, I will have my own page in the near future, but right now I’m mixed in with Leadership.

Rodolphe Mortreuil November 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Ykes. Their site is amazingly slow.
Or maybe it's just that they were unprepared for the increased traffic your joining them has generated.

Rodolphe Mortreuil November 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Plus, I can't even see your post at all.
Not the greatest start, I'm sure it'll get ironed out soon.

Suzanne Lucas November 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Yeah, there are problems. I hope they get them ironed out because it's driving me nuts.

Another Evil HR Director November 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I found it, no problem; and the site wasn't slow, either.

Thanks again for another good article.

Suzanne Lucas November 4, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Yeah! I'm glad it's functioning for you.

Transitions to new sites are always complicated. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Anonymous November 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm

After reading that article — to me it says he probably did harass someone and he was high level and valuable enough to his employers they didn't want to fire him/risk the publicity and/or the National Restaurant Association has some deep deep pockets. You're not going to throw money at settling a frivolous lawsuit that you can get dismissed at the get-go. Once, yes. Twice, no. Who has 80K to shell out to settle two sexual harassment suits? Assuming he made 250K they just shelled out a third of his salary to settle.

Suzanne Lucas November 5, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Understand, Anonymous, that 80k to settle is a lot, lot, lot cheaper than fighting two lawsuits.

If you go to court, you can count on spending at least 50k per suit, so at minimum, they saved $20k by settling. More likely, they saved $300k by settling, plus they avoided news coverage (at the time).

I can honestly say that that the evidence of settlement money does not indicate guilt.

I have no opinion on Cain, directly. I have no idea what happened there.

Corey Feldman November 7, 2011 at 7:21 pm

A couple settlements under 10K each, I wouldn't bat an eye either and would assume it was nuisance. I have no inside information. I don't pretend to actually know what happened. I don't know much about their in house counsel, their employment practice insurance or deductible – but the settlement figures don't sound like nuisance settlements to me. That doesn't mean that there was harassment or even an issue with Cain himself, but I'd make wager there is something fishy and more to the story

Teri November 8, 2011 at 2:35 am

I like this column. I hate the assumption that just because there is an accusation that the accused is guilty. Not fair. Impossible to prove a negative, especially 10+ years later.

BTW, I can't find comments at CBSM. Does that mean that there aren't any or are they just hidden somewhere stupid?

Suzanne Lucas November 8, 2011 at 5:56 am

Teri,

There are comments. The link is at the top of the article. They layout is so cluttered over there (boy, i'm going to get myself fired) it's hard to see.

No one is making comments over there, and I think it's because of super bad layout.

cosmetique du Maroc July 19, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this web site on a regular basis, this web site is in fact pleasant and the viewers are really sharing nice thoughts.

restaurant montpellier January 23, 2014 at 12:14 am

I’m curious to find out what blog system you’re utilizing?
I’m having some minor security problems with my latest
blog and I’d like to find something more safe. Do you have any suggestions?

demi40apyqub.pen.io May 18, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I rarely write comments, however i did some searching and wound up here
Why employers settle sexual harassment claims — Evil
HR Lady. And I actually do have a couple of questions for
you if you usually do not mind. Is it simply me or does it look as if like a few of
the remarks come across like written by brain
dead folks? 😛 And, if you are writing on other sites, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post.

Would you make a list of all of all your communal
sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Nitro Nation Hack May 25, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Well, it sounds like he has changed his meal options.
The highpoint of the factions involvement that night was a jump off of the
RAW lettered set done by Sabu who landed on Taz’s groupies.
While this doesn’t make for a bad movie, it definitely makes these
guys less than zombie.

google June 7, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Hi there colleagues, its fantastic paragraph on the topic of
tutoringand entirely defined, keep it up all the time.

Syd Mead's Sentury II pdf June 13, 2014 at 12:06 pm

There is definately a great deal to learn about this issue.
I really like all of the points you have made.